Clear thoughts become clear goals whereas ambiguous ideas transform into missed opportunities. In other words: Write down your goal and then outline the process about how your going to achieve it. Here’s an example from a recent race I did.
I wanted a top 3 overall finish (I won, so that was nice). Here’s my basic outline:
– Sleep 8-9 hours each night and nap when possible
– No missed training days
– Self massage and stretch at least twice a week
– Limit sugars to only after a workout
– At least 5 days of running each week (1 day with intervals of total quality of 4-6K, 3 easy days @ 10-15 beats <aerobic threshold, 1 brick run that progresses to race pace)
– 3 days of cycling with 1 hard day
– Swim at least 3 days a week
– Improve bike anaerobic threshold by 10W and aerobic run by 5s/km
Keep the outline to a basic overview. The actual schedule, see my previous post, is where you want to put the details.